SALARY NEGOTIATION WORKSHOPS
Texas A&M University's Women's Resource Center, Career Center, and Money Education Center have partnered to bring American Association of University Women (AAUW) salary negotiation workshops to campus in order to educate students on how to negotiate for a fair salary after graduation.
Why are Salary Negotiation Workshops Necessary?
According to research done by AAUW, women working full time in the United States typically are paid just 82 percent of what men are paid. Latinas are paid 54 cents to every dollar white, non-Hispanic men are paid, American Indian and Alaska Native women 57 cents, Native Hawaiian women 61 cents, Black women 62 cents, White women 79 cents, and Asian American women 90 cents. The gender pay gap starts just one year out of college with women making 82 cents to a man’s dollar, and the disadvantages only worsen over time.
Moreover, according to Linda Babcock's research for her book Women Don't Ask, only about 7 percent of women attempt to negotiate their first salary compared to 57 percent of men. Research on recent college graduates also suggests that these graduates are unlikely to negotiate for their salaries. A 2015 article cited by the Washington Post indicated that out of almost 8,000 new graduates who were surveyed, only 38% negotiated.
The impact of not negotiating for higher salary increases over time. For instance, a recent 22-year-old graduate who is offered a job for $50,000 and successfully negotiates a 5% salary increase will see an extra $2,500 in the first year. Over the course of their career, if they achieve an annual salary growth of 3%, they will have earned an extra $213,710.
What are AAUW Start Smart and Work Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops?
AAUW Start Smart and Work Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are designed to teach participants how to negotiate for a fair salary. In every two hour workshop, participants gain confidence in their negotiation styles through facilitated discussion and role-play. Participants learn the following:
- How to identify and articulate their personal value.
- How to develop an arsenal of persuasive response and other negotiation strategies.
- How do conduct objective market research to benchmark a target salary and benefits.
- About the wage gap including its long-term consequences and other relevant factors.
AAUW Start Smart and AAUW Work Smart are recommended for students who plan to start applying for career positions in the next 3-4 months.
AAUW Start Smart Workshops are ideal for students who are preparing to enter the professional workforce for the first time. In addition to the skills listed above, students learn how to research the cost of living in the location(s) they plan to live and how to construct a basic budget, which informs their negotiation strategies.
AAUW Work Smart Workshops are better suited for students who may have already been in the workforce and have some experience with budgeting. Work Smart Workshops dive deeper into salary negotiation by focusing on how to negotiate raises with a supervisor once you are employed.
Each workshop is limited to 20 participants. Pre-registration is required. Workshops are 2 hours long.
All Texas A&M University students are welcome to attend AAUW Smart Start and AAUW Work Smart Workshops.
Interested in having an AAUW Start Smart or Work Smart Workshop for Your Class or Student Organization?
AAUW Start Smart and Work Smart Workshops are available for both classroom presentations and student organization meetings. There is a minimum requirement of 15 participants to schedule a custom workshop. Use our Presentation Request Form to request an AAUW Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshop or AAUW Work Smart Salary Negotiation Workshop. Each workshop is 2.5 hours long.
Start Smart Workshop Schedule:
- Wednesday, June 16 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Tuesday, July 13 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Monday, September 20 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Tuesday, October 19 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | In-person
- Monday, November 15 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Monday, February 7 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Tuesday, March 8 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. |In-person
- Wednesday, April 6 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
Work Smart Workshop Schedule:
- Tuesday, September 28 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Wednesday, October 27 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | In-person
- Wednesday, November 17 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Tuesday, February 15 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom
- Thursday, March 24 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. |In-person
- Monday, April 11 | 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | Zoom