FACE COVERING VIOLATIONS
How to report possible violations:
- In accordance with the Face Covering policy, University officials may use the Campus Community Incident Report form to notify the Student Conduct Office (SCO) of incidents where a student has refused to either wear a face covering or leave the area.
- Students can also report violations of the face covering policy to the Student Conduct Office, but should keep the following in mind:
- A respectful reminder about the expectation to wear a mask is appropriate.
- A student who is not acting in the capacity of a University official should not demand identification or documentation of an exemption from another student.
What happens when an alleged violation is reported?
- The student will be contacted by the SCO with information regarding the process for determining whether they are responsible for a rule violation.
- The student will have the opportunity to choose whether to contest the charge and to share their perspective on the reported incident.
- If the student has received an exemption from wearing a face covering, the student may submit documentation of the exemption.
- If the student does not contest the charge or is found responsible for a rule violation, sanctions will be issued.
- Typical sanctions for a first-time violation will include a letter of reprimand and educational requirements (such as a reading and writing assignment).
- More serious sanctions may be considered depending on various factors such as: the impact of the behavior on others, previous violations, or other circumstances surrounding the incident.