LGBTQ+ PRIDE CENTER
The purpose of Pride Mentors is to offer support and guidance to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, pansexual, gender fluid, gender queer, non-binary, asexual, ally, demisexual, queer or questioning students at Texas A&M. The program is designed for mentees to work through topics important to them including, but not limited to, career and academic goals, relationships and family problems, transitioning to college, gender and sexuality, and LGBTQ+ issues that arise in collegiate and professional settings.
The goals of Pride Mentors are:
- To foster mentoring relationships between lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, asexual, and ally (LGBTQA) students and LGBTQA faculty & staff that can offer support, guidance and resources to LGBTQ students at TAMU
- To provide support for students who are in the process of coming out, or who feel they are currently unable to come out
- To expose students to the diverse lives of adult LGBTQ members of the TAMU community
- To provide helpful resources to students as
- They explore issues related to identity
- To help connect LGBTQ students to the larger LGBTQ community, both at TAMU and the B-CS area
- To provide LGBTQ faculty and staff an opportunity to help students develop outside of the classroom and other formal TAMU venues
- Attend mentorship program events (2 per semester)
- Mentee Training: Teusday, Sept. 16 at 5 p.m.
- Mentor Training: Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 5 p.m.
- Mix and Mingle: Monday, Sept. 21 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Education Program: Tuesday, Nov. 3 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Pride Mentor Celebration: Thursday, Dec. 10 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Take part in the programs connection activities
- Set a mutually agreed upon meeting schedule with a minimum of one meeting per month
- Communicate with the LGBTQ+ Pride Center about how the relationship is progressing
- Commit to the mentoring relationship and program for a semester
- Mentors applications will open August 14, 2020
- Mentee applications will open August 14, 2020
- Applications will be available on Aggie Mentoring Network
Applications close Thursday, August 27, 2020. Mentees will have from Friday, August 28 to Monday, August 31 to select a mentor. Tuesday, September 1 administrator matching will take place.
Applicants with questions about Pride Mentors should contact Frances Jackson, Coordinator of the LGBTQ+ Pride Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 979.862.8920.