Former Foster & Adopted Aggies

Student Assistance Services serves as a primary contact point for former-foster and adopted Aggies.  We can provide students with information and advice on financial aid, tuition fees and exemptions, on and off-campus living options, transportation, health care, campus employment and other available campus and community services.

For more information, call 979.845.3113 or visit our office at Student Services at White Creek, Student  Life  Building 3

Services at Texas A&M University 

  • Getting Around Campus
  • Financial
  • Housing
  • Health Care and Disability Service
  • Mental Health Resources
  • Other Resources Available

Community Services in Bryan/ College Station 

  • Getting Around Town
  • Jobs 
  • Housing 
  • Health Care 
  • Mental Health Resources
  • Other Resources Available 

Preparation for Adult Living State Services  

  • Region 7 information 
  • Financial Benefits 
  • Educational Benefits 
  • Health Benefits 

Services at Texas A&M University 


Campus Transportation

Rider information for A&M campus buses, including route maps and time schedules for the ‘Aggie Spirit’ buses is available at

For more information, call 979.847.7433 (979.847.RIDE).

**Download the App "Texas A&M University" to see the bus transportation in "real time" 


 Texas A&M Student Financial Aid

Call 979.845.3236 or visit

Additional Scholarship Opportunities

The Student Employment office in the Department of Student Financial Aid can assist students with a job-search process for on-campus, off-campus, and work-study positions. Working on-campus is a great way to attend class and learn more about campus while at the same time earning some extra money.  In addition, Texas A&M employers typically offer flexible employment schedules that allow Aggie students to schedule work and classes concurrently.

Residence Life Employment Opportunities


On campus Employment Opportunities 

Go to and fill out a profile to find a job on campus.


Living on Campus

Residence Life offers a variety of convenient living arrangements designed to give you an incredible on-campus living experience. Please visit or call 979.845.4744 (or toll-free at 888.451.3896 for more information on housing options.


Looking for a place to live off-campus? Try AggieSearch , the on-line searchable database of community housing options. Available information on the site includes:

  • Apartment availability and price lists
  • Roommate contracts
  • Utility information
  • Apartment accessibility information for students with disabilities

Off-Campus Housing Fair

The Off-Campus Housing Fair is an annual event held each year on campus in the early spring semester that provides students the opportunity to visit with representatives from more than 50 area apartment complexes. Prizes, giveaways, and other entertainment make this an event you don’t want to miss. 

At the housing fair, Aggie students can also pick up the latest copy of the Off-Campus Survival Manual, a useful guide to making the most of your off-campus learning experience. Students can also visit Off-Campus Student Services at the Offices of the Dean of Student Life @ White Creek to pick up a copy of the manual.


 Student Health Services 24 hr. Dial-A-Nurse

      Call 979.458.8379 or visit

Student Counseling Services

provides short-term counseling and crisis intervention, as well as academic and career services, to all Aggie students. SCS staff incorporate into practice awareness, respect, and valuing of cultural differences.

  •  Appointments: 979.845.4427
  •  After-hours HelpLine: 979.845.2700

Disability Services provides services to students with disabilities to insure accessibility to university programs. This office offers accommodations counseling, evaluation, referral, disability-related information, adaptive technology counseling and equipment, and interpreter services for academically related purposes.

Disability Services Main Office: 979.845.1637

Medical Transportation Program (MTP) is a free service provided through Texas Medicaid for people who have no other way to get to medical appointments with Medicaid-enrolled doctors. It also covers other health-care services covered by Medicaid, including dentists and pharmacies.

To request an MTP ride, call toll-free (at least two working days before you need a ride) at 877.MED.TRIP (877.633.8747) Monday-Friday during normal business hours (except federal holidays). If you are traveling out of town or for a long distance, call at least five working days ahead. If you need next-day or same-day service, call as soon as you can.


Mental Health Resources

Texas A&M Psychology Clinic off campus does mental health screenings (intakes) on a sliding scale fee. Contact 979.595.1770. They also offer counseling services at their clinic on campus 979.845.8021.



 Dial Texas 2-1-1

Call 2-1-1 for access to information about health and human services in the Bryan/College Station community. If you are calling from outside of Texas, or have technical difficulties when dialing 2-1-1 from your cell/mobile, voice-over-IP, or office location phone, please dial the toll free alternate access number at 877.541.7905. Information about services is also available on the 2-1-1 Texas website at

Texas Youth Hotline

The Texas Youth Hotline helps young adults under 21 years of age who have aged out of the foster care system locate services available in their communities.  Contact the statewide hotline at 800.210.2278 for telephone counseling and information and referrals.


Community Services in Bryan/ College Station


 Public Transportation

This link connects you to The District, the public transportation provider for Bryan/College Station and several other cities in the region.  For general route and fares information, call the Brazos Transit District at .800.272.0039.



Brazos Valley Workforce Solutions The link connects you to the workforce solutions homepage. For job seeking services and assistance go to: 



Living Off-Campus

Former-foster students wishing to live off-campus should be aware that some apartment complexes require a lease guarantor if they believe a prospective tenant may not meet certain financial qualifications.  A guarantor is someone who can support the claim that you are legally and financially responsible to sign a leasing agreement. The guarantor is also equally responsible and liable for any settlements (charges for rent, damages, etc.) that you agreed to pay through your rental agreement.

Lease agreements usually require that the guarantor must be a U.S. citizen and must also provide their own employment information; credit and rental history, address and phone number as part of the application.

Aggie-Search and Off Campus Housing Fair 

These are services provided by Texas A&M to support off campus housing. Please refer back to the information for Housing under Services at Texas A&M University for more information. 

Brazos Valley Council of Governments Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally-funded program that helps provide housing assistance to low-income families. To see if you qualify the income limit go to:

if you do qualify you can apply on the website: or call contact Karla Flanagan at 979.595.2801 Ext. 2081 or email her at 


TMPH Health Provider Search

Use the following link to search for a doctor, hospital or other participating health care provider that accepts Texas Medicaid insurance.

Texas Medicaid Program

If you are 21 or older, the Texas Medicaid Program Client Hotline can provide information on Medicaid benefits, lists of Medicaid providers, health plans, and other general information, including the process for filing complaints about Medicaid health care providers or health plans.  For more information, call toll free 800.252.8263, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time.

Texas Health Steps

Texas HealthSteps coordinates free medical and dental checkups to people under age 21 who have Medicaid.  Eligible treatments for transportation include

  • eye exams
  • shots
  • glasses
  • case management
  • hearing tests
  • health advice

For more information, call 877.THSTEPS or 877.847.8377 toll-free or visit:

Brazos County Health Department 

The Brazos County Health Department provides health services and resources including and adult health clinic, Immunization clinic, Sexually Transmitted Infection clininc and more! For more information go to: or call 979.361.4440



Mental Health Mental Retardation Authority (MHMR)

MHMR has walk in assessments for currently $10. They are located at 1504 S. Texas Ave., Bryan, Tx. 979.822.6467 . For after hour emergencies, weekends and holidays call 979.361-9815.

Rock Prairie Behavioral Health 

Rock Prairie's inpatient program is designe to effectively treat people suffering from acute behavioral helath problems. For a free confidential assessment call: 979.703.8848 or go to their location at: 3550 Normand Dr. College Station, TX 77845


Brazos Valley Community Action Agency, Inc. 

BVCAA has many resources available through their agency ranging from affordable housing and utility assistance to health and wellness programs. For more information please check out their website under "programs" and "resources" or call them at 979.846.1100

SNAP Food Benefits 

Students who take part in a State or federally financed work study program or who work at least 20 hours a week may be eligible for SNAP food benefits. To find more information go to: 

Voices for Children CASA of Brazos Valley 

Voices for Children currently has a mentoring program called UP. The Unlimited Potential Program is a new program developed by Voices ofr Children, Inc. to empower current and former foster youth ages 16 and older to reach their full potential through education, individualized support, and integration with community members and community resources. For more information go to:

Preparation for Adult Living State Services


Brazos County is located within DFPS's Region 7 the E. Central District. The central PAL office is located in Austin, however the PAL Coordinator for this county is Jessycah Smith - contact information is; or office 979.774.6781, Cell 979.504.9822. 


You will be able to access your financial benefits by contacting your PAL Coordinator Jessycah Smith at 979.774.6781 OR Aftercare Case Manager, Julie Baker from LIFEWORKS at 512.735.2181 or email 

Transitional Living Allowance (TLA)

TLA will be accessed through your State PAL Coordinator Jessycah Smith at 979.774.6781 or email  If you completed your PAL Classes you can receive this money 2 years after you came out of care. You must be working or in school to access your TLA. TLA is $1000 and will be given to you in 4 increments of $250 or 2 increments of $500 depending on the region. This money can be spent on anything you need.

 Aftercare Room and Board (ACRB) ACRB is worth $3000 this can be used for rent, utility bills, and or food cards. Contact  Aftercare Case Manager Julie Baker at (512)2181 or email  You can only access up to $500 a month and the $3000 is not renewable. It is available to you from after you leave care until you turn 21 if you don't use it you lose it. It can take up to a month for a check to be written so please contact your worker with enough time to process a check. Checks will be paid directly to the person or company collecting the money in your name. 

Educational or Vocational Needs (Ed-Voc)

 Ed-Voc can be used for anything having to do with school or work, such as books, supplies, parking permit, etc. Available funds of $1000 is accessible for former foster students age 16-21,checks will be paid directly to the person or company collecting the money in your name.


Educational benefits will be accessed through several differnt places listed under each category. These benefits are to assist you financially with your educational goals after high school. 

Tuition Waiver 

The state of Texas provides youth who have aged out of care* (* there are other caveats) with a waiver to attend any state funded school for free. This means public institutions of higher education such as Texas A&M, community colleges or state vocational schools. This does not include private schools. To access this you need to contact PAL Coordinator for this area, Jessycah Smith 979.774.6781 or email

Education and Training Voucher (ETV)

The ETV is to help offset any extra bills you may have as a student. The amount awarded is up to $5000 a school year. To apply you will need to fill out the initial application and then submit specific documents by the due dates. For more information go to:

Pell Grant 

When completing your Financial Aid application (FAFSA) make sure to mark that you were a ward of the state to qualify for the full Pell Grant. You can complet your FAFSA at:



 Transitional Medicaid

People who were in foster care on their 18th birthday and are now age 18 through 20 may receive Medicaid.  For more information, call 2-1-1, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time.